GRANDMA’S SAUCE

Grandma's Sauce

Today we managed to replicate an old recipe from my Sicilian grandmother, a recipe that we found in an old trunk.
We followed the 3 recipes: one for the bravest, super spicy, we nicknamed it “La Bomba”; the other always spicy more delicate nicknamed “La golosa” and finally the “Signora”, so called by my grandmother, because the best of the noblewoman for which my grandmother cooked.
I forgot … all the ingredients are made in England but with Italian taste.
Grandma’s sauce  Perfect for ; Pasta,bruschetta, Sandwich ,panini , meat , vegetable and more
soon available  in our web site ………………

Porto Ercole

Tuscany is famous for its extra virgin oil and for its food and for its magnificent places, one of these is Porto Ercole in recent weeks is at the center of all newspapers for the visit of Pippa Middleton, but where is Porto Ercole? let’s see
How to get there: London  Pisa Airplane about 2 hours, then another 2 hours in car

 

Porto Ercole, the second center of Monte Argentario(Tuscany), is located in the southern part of the promontory. The Etruscan and Roman phases of the ancient Portus Herculis are currently quite elusive, while a reconstruction of the history of the Argentario promontory is reliable from the first century BC. It belonged initially to the Domizi Enobarbi family, then passed to the emperor Domitian and was donated to Vibia Matidia da Traiano in the 2nd century AD. In 312 d.C. the emperor Constantine donated it to the Basilica dei SS. Pietro and Marcellino and after the fall of the Western Roman Empire became dominion before the Byzantines and later the Longobards.


In the Middle Ages, Porto Ercole was the subject of disputes between the abbey of the fountains three and the Aldobrandeschi family. In the XIV century it passed to the Orsini counts, from 1410 to 1414 it became the dominion of the king of Naples Ladislao and following the death of the latter fell under the domination of Siena. In 1555 Porto Ercole was the scene of the desperate resistance of the French (allies of Siena) from the attack of the Spaniards and after a long siege, led by the Marquis of Marignano and the sea by Admiral Andrea Doria, in June Porto Ercole fell and with the Treaty of Brussels it went to form, together with Porto Santo Stefano, Orbetello, Ansedonia, Talamone and Porto Longone the state of the Presidi governed by the viceroy of Naples. In this period the strong Filippo, Stella, S. Caterina and la Rocca were built. In 1707 the Austrians conquered the Kingdom of Naples and after a long siege, March 22, 1712, Porto Ercole was forced to surrender. In 1802 with the Napoleonic conquests, the State of the Presidia ceased to exist and its territories were absorbed by the Kingdom of Etruria. In 1815 Porto Ercole was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and finally in 1860 it was joined to the Kingdom of Italy. The main works to visit in Porto Ercole are undoubtedly the fortifications dating back to the era of the State of the Presidi. Forte Filippo is a formidable fortification built with the most advanced techniques of military architecture of the time. It was commissioned by Filippo II and Giovanni Camerini carried out its works. Set in a ditch dug into the rock, it has four bastions and a single access via a lift bridge, in the basement there were the powder magazine, deposits and warehouses; the battery of Santa Caterina located further down the hill completed the effectiveness of the artillery. La Rocca is not the result of a single design and construction phase, but has undergone significant changes over time; as it is currently designed by Giovanni Camerini. Inside it looks like a military citadel divided into squares and courtyards joined by a gallery to the battery of Santa Barbara that completed the potential of fire of the complex. Forte Stella dominates a large area located behind the port and takes its name from its geometric shape, star-shaped, with a hexagonal courtyard at the center. It presents numerous loopholes for the artillery both towards the countryside and towards the sea. Also the access of this fort is equipped with a lift bridge. Another important building is the Governor’s Palace located on the square of Santa Barbara. Built in 1508 under the Lordship of Siena, it was rebuilt by the Spaniards after the sack of the Saracen pirates of Khair ad Din called the Barbarossa, to become the residence of the governor of the garrison.

Tagliolini with truffles

 

Grandma Camilla’s recipes

 

In an aluminum pan put 2 tablespoons of extra virgin oil then add to taste sliced ​​truffle ,brown slightly.

Cook the tagliolini in salted boiling water.Drain the pasta so that it remains very wet and add it to the pan.

Mix carefully.

Serve on the table slicing another truffle on top and if you like, a little grated Parmesan.
and…………….enjoy your meal

Roast pork Recipes

Arista to the Oven is a typical Sunday roast, made with pork. Very simple to make, it only needs to pay attention to the cooking of the meat: the roast will be ready when, by stinging it, it will release a transparent liquid and enjoy!

The roast pork is very tasty and lends itself to many variations, from simple condiments based on oil, garlic and rosemary, to pairings with fruit,
• about 1 kg of arista
• 1 sprig of rosemary
• 30 g of butter
• 3 tablespoons of oil •
1 glass of dry white wine
• milk
• salt
• pepper

  COOKING TIME 1 Hour and 10 Minutes 

Cinque Terre

Monterosso, the largest village of the Cinque Terre

Monterosso al Mare is the largest village of the Cinque Terre and also the first to be documented (1056).
Consisting of two districts, the old village and Fegina, the more touristy part, Monterosso al Mare also boasts important monuments. Amongst these the XIV century church of San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist), in front of which rose the Medieval  Palazzo del Podestà, of which some traces remain. Of great importance, on the colle dei (hills of) Cappuccini, the castello dei Fieschi (the castle of Fieschi) and the monastero (monastry) whose church is San Francesco (St. Francis), contains works of art of unestimable value amongst which pictures attributed to Van Dick, Cambiaso, Piola and Guido Reni.
Villa Montale can be found at Fegina, where the Nobel prize winner for Literature stayed and the Gigante (Giant), imposing statue in reinforced cement built at the beginning of 1900 which originally held up a terrace in the shape of a shell.

Vernazza, the most charming of the Cinque Terre

Vernazza, considered by many to be the most charming of the Cinque Terre was documented for the first time in 1080. The remarkable economic and social level reached by the village in Medieval times and still today testified by the town planning conformation and by the presence of architectural elements of great importance, like lodges, churches, casetorri and arcades.  The village is dominated by the remains of the “castrum” a series of Medieval forts dating back to the XI century, with a cylindrical castle and tower. The built up area comprises separate houses in a single central street and perpendicularly steep flights of steps called “arpaie”. The most important historical moment is Santa Margherita di Antiochia (St. Margaret of Antioch), a Roman-Genovese style church, whose construction dates back to the XIII century in which are recognised a Medieval body and a Renaissance one.

Corniglia,

the only village of the Cinque Terre not in contact with the sea, rising on top of a rock promontory. Its low and wide houses are more similar to those of the hinterland than to the typical coastal houses, evidence that the traditional vocation of the village has always been more inclined towards the land than the sea. The most important monument of the village is the Church of San Pietro (St. Peter), of gothic-genovese style built around 1350 on the remains of the previous building. The façade of the church, embellished by a marble rosette is enriched by many decorations, amongst which a bas-relief which shows a deer, the emblem of the village. Also interesting are l’Oratorio dei Disciplinati (Oratory of the Disciplined), dating back to 1700 and from which one has a breathtaking view of the sea, largo Taragio, the small main square of Corniglia, real pulsating heart of the village.

Manarola

hamlet of Riomaggiore, is a town planning jewel, rich as it is in typical tower houses of Genovese style. Founded during the XII century, the village probably derives its name from an antique “magna roea”, a large mill wheel present in the village. The first evidence of the village dating back to the year 1200, is relative to the events of the Fieschi, whilst in the XVI century there was news of their strenuous resistance against the pirate raids. The most important monument of the hamlet is the church of San Lorenzo (St. Lawrence), which was built in 1338, work of the inhabitants of Manarola and Volastra, as testifies the stone on the façade of the church. The layout with three aisles, whilst the façade is embellished with a rosette of twelve columns. Also important is the bell tower, detached from the main body of the church, probably because originally it held a defensive role.

Lake Maggiore

 

 

Lake Maggiore (ItalianLago Maggiore,  literally ‘Greater Lake’) or Lago Verbàno  LatinLacus is a large lake located on the south side of the Alps. It is the second largest lake in Italyand the largest in southern Switzerland. The lake and its shoreline are divided between the Italian regions of Piedmontand Lombardy and the Swiss canton of Ticino. Located halfway between Lake Orta and Lake Lugano, Lake Maggiore extends for about 65 kilometres (40 miles) between Locarno and Arona.

The climate is mild in both summer and winter, producing Mediterranean vegetation, with many gardens growing rare and exotic plants. Well-known gardens include those of the Borromean and Brissago Islands, that of the Villa Taranto in Verbania, and the Alpinia Botanical Garden above Stresa.

Vinci Leonardo: Beautiful Mind&Town

 


Discover his inventions   

 

Situated on the slopes of the Montalbano and surrounded by vineyards and olive trees, the town of Vinci is undoubtedly linked to the memory of its most famous citizen, Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519). The castle which for its unusual shape is known as the “castle of the ship”, was owned by the Conti Guidi family in the XII Century but then fell under Florentine rule. The towns characteristic medieval streets and stunning views well justify a visit but the majority of visitors come to follow the footsteps of Leonardo.

The House of Leonardo da Vinci can be found in Anchiano and allows the visitor to discover the personal side of the artist and the deep links he had with the territory in which he grew up. Immersed in the green Tuscan countryside, the House is also an excellent starting point from which to take a walk along the beautiful trails of the Montalbano. In the historic centre of Vinci, the Leonardo Museum presents the works of Leonardo the technologist and engineer through one of the largest and original collections of machines and instruments. The models, which are accompanied by digital animations, give testimony to the extent of Leonardo’s interests: from the studies of flight and movements in water to designs for machines of war, textile machines and experiments on optics.

A visit to Vinci continues in the Chiesa di Santa Croce where the baptismal font where Leonardo was baptised can be found, made even more precious by the installations Cecco Bonanotte dedicated to the Storia della Salvezza (History of Deliverance) and to the evocative locations where imposing works of contemporary art re-elaborate the heritage of the Genus:  l’Uomo di Vinci (Man of Vinci),  sculpture by Mario Ceroli in Piazza del Castello, the bronze Cavallo (Horse) created by Nina Akamu, the Piazza dei Guidi designed by Mimmo Paladino as a dramatic entrance to the museum. Finally there is the Leonardo Library, which houses copies of all the coded manuscripts.

You can see 100  best things to do in italy   here

Tuscan beautiful towns: “Certaldo”

Certaldo had Etruscan-Roman origins, as evidenced by the numerous archaeological finds scattered throughout the municipal area, such as pottery, tools and Etruscan tombs, some of which recently discovered.  The Etruscan origins are also evidenced by the toponymy of some places and waterways, such as the Agliena stream and the Elsa river that flow near Certaldo.

In particular, on the Poggio del Boccaccio, a trapezoidal shaped hill with elliptical base and completely flat top, adjacent to the medieval village in the north-west direction, were found during archaeological excavations in the late 1800s and in the mid-1900s, a Etruscan-Hellenistic chamber tomb with an ellipsoidal plan dating back to the end of the 4th-beginning of the 3rd century BC, and a well deposit of foodstuffs with some clay-like instruments dating back to the Hellenistic period. Most likely the area was home to a fine grain deposit from 300 BCE.

In other excavations, carried out between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries near another hill considered artificial, always adjacent to the medieval village but this time in the south-east direction, called Poggio delle Fate, an underground cell granary was found and the remains of an Etruscan burial mound and numerous stamped tiles,  while numerous ceramics dating back to the VI – V century BC until the Hellenistic age and fragments of boiled aretine pottery were found near the stream Agliena.

Some finds of Roman amphorae dating back to the Imperial era (1st century AD) in Piazza della Libertà, in the lower part of the city, during some construction works of 1960 for the construction of a secondary school, show that there were settlements in Roman times .

All these findings of Etruscan and Roman origin are now museumized on the ground floor of the Palazzo Pretorio, located in the medieval part of the town.

In all probability in the place where now stands Certaldo there was a small Etruscan settlement, probably an agricultural village, as evidenced by the deposits of foodstuffs in the hills adjacent to the village, while on the Poggio del Boccaccio was located the necropolis.

Monuments and places of interest

Certaldo alto seen from the Park of Canonica.
The most interesting part of the municipality is certainly Certaldo Alto. The main artistic and architectural feature that made it famous and famous in Europe is the perfect conservation of the medieval urban fabric with its narrow streets and small squares scattered here and there; if we exclude the renovation work that had as its object Palazzo Pretorio in the fifteenth century (works that transformed the old keep in the vicarial palace), we can say that Certaldo Alto has remained identical to how it developed in the Middle Ages.

Further evidence of this feature is the lack of a large square in the historic center, while in its place we find a long and wide street (via Boccaccio) that performed its functions, representing the public place of excellence and typically high-medieval conception . However who climbs in Certaldo Alto will find two squares: the first is Piazza della SS. Annunziata, created at the beginning of the nineteenth century by paving an area that was previously used for gardens and crops in general; the second, piazza SS. Jacopo and Filippo, in front of the homonymous church, was instead originally used as a cemetery of the convent until 1633.

The event not to be missed Mercantia 2018

Coffee is good for health.

The jury is forever going back and forth on whether or not coffee is good for you, but in case you’re still looking for an excuse to drink an extra cup, science is here to help.

In a new study published in Nature Medicine, a group of researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine recently discovered that caffeine might help our bodies fight inflammation and, therefore, multiple diseases as we get older. Based on an analysis of blood samples from around 100 people of varying ages, the researchers discovered that the older participants in the study with lower levels of inflammation all reported drinking coffee on a regular basis — and not just a sip here and there, but an admirable 5+ cups a day. This led researchers to dig deep into how caffeine might reduce the risk of chronic diseases.

“Most of the diseases of aging are not really diseases of aging, per se, but rather diseases of inflammation, ” the study’s lead authors David Furman told Time. “The more caffeine people consumed, the more protected they were against a chronic state of inflammation. There was no boundary, apparently.”

As Refinery29 explains, the researchers found that caffeine helps inhibit the molecule adenosine, thus blocking the pathway for inflammation. The researchers are quick to note that some inflammation is essential and is a natural, important part of the immune system — but caffeine might be a way to manage and regulate it.

“That something many people drink — and actually like to drink — might have a direct benefit came as a surprise to us,” another senior author of the study Mark Davis said in a press release. “What we’ve shown is a correlation between caffeine consumption and longevity. And we’ve shown more rigorously, in laboratory tests, a very plausible mechanism for why this might be so.”

A few of the study’s authors are currently working on a follow-up study which will analyze blood samples from 1,000 people — but in the meantime, you might as well drink up, y’all. It might just help you live longer.

source:Cosmopolitan